Wellness Policies for Southmoor Elementary School
2017-2018 School Year
Southmoor Elementary was awarded a grant during the 2014-15 school year to explore the interest and support for physical activity, nutrition and wellness during the school day.
As part of this initiative, a Wellness Committee was established and an online wellness survey was conducted in the 2015/2016 school year.
100% of teachers and more than 50% of parents responded to the Wellness Survey.
The top two priorities were:
- Do not use lunch recess as a consequence for poor behavior
- Provide alternatives to sweets in the classroom during birthday celebrations
The following policies were drafted by a collaboration between parents and teachers and approved by leadership. These policies fall in line with those at the State and District level. Online resources are provided below each policy. Resource toolkits are being developed to support our school community in understanding and implementing these policies.
*Physical Activity and Punishment Policy
- Teachers and other school and community personnel will use a restorative approach to discipline.
- Teachers and other school and community personnel will not withhold lunch time recess or physical education as a consequence for discipline. Recess during the other portions of the day may be used as a consequence and opportunity for the student and staff member to discuss concerns.
- Southmoor Elementary’s PBiS committee will disseminate a list of alternative and effective consequences for teachers and other school and community personnel.
*Birthday Celebrations Policy
- Southmoor Elementary classrooms will limit birthday celebrations that involve food during the school day to a monthly celebration for all students who may have had a birthday during the month (with the exception of Valentine’s Day and Halloween).
- Southmoor Elementary will disseminate a list of healthy party ideas to parents and teachers.
- Southmoor Elementary will encourage the use of nutritional snacks in the classroom
- Southmoor Elementary’s PBiS committee will continue to provide alternative options to celebrate student emotional and academic success (ie- Magnificent Moose awards, shout outs, communication home, verbal recognition in class, etc.).